Monday, January 30, 2012

S-Log and the Sony F3: Application

S-Log and the Sony F3: Application:
In the third part of my S-Log series I took the Sony F3 outside on a nice bright day to show what S-Log can do. Jeff Lee and I headed up to the roof of AbelCine and found some shade to stand in, this allowed us to show the most contrast possible. I shot the blog in S-Log as well as in the standard video modes with the AbelRange profile that I created earlier this year. This way I can show just what S-Log enables in the camera. All the clips in the video, except the last one, were recorded to the Gemini 4:4:4 recorder. The Gemini records in uncompressed DPX stacks so nothing was lost along the way. The last shot was S-Log out to a PIX240 recorder in ProRes422 HQ, this was enabled with the new F3 1.31 firmware from Sony. I graded all of the shots in DaVinci Resolve Lite. The difference between S-Log and my range profile can be slight at times, but pay close attention to highlight areas, especially the skin highlights. Thanks to Isaac Kiener from sales for helping out. Stay tuned for the last part of the series on look up tables in the camera.

More...

No comments: