Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Final Cut X: I Don’t Get It

Final Cut X: I Don’t Get It: "

Before reading this article, this is what you should know:

- I didn’t go to the SuperMeet. My wife is expecting any day and I decided to stay home instead of potentially miss our little girl’s birth.

- I followed the feed and tweets of everyone there as best I could.

- I use Final Cut Pro every day.

- I plan on buying Final Cut X when the day it comes out.

 

Before the announcement of Final Cut X  last night at NAB, I reflected upon the many thoughts of my students, my colleagues and of mine about the next update of the Final Cut Studio. How many times have you head others or caught yourself thinking “Well, the next Final Cut Pro will do that…” “They will probably address that in the next update” or  ”Wouldn’t it be nice if….”

I know everyone there was fairly impressed with the presentation. And that’s why I think my disadvantage in not being able to go and see the presentation or feel the hype is your advantage in trying to grasp what the new update actually is.

First of all this is what I like (but it doesn’t mean I understand it)

- The price is $299. That’s great. But hey, wait a second? What about the price of all the other assets in the Final Cut Studio?

- 4K resolution! Wait, does that mean it can play R3D files or Redcode? Or does it just transcode it to ProRes automatically in the background?

- No rendering! Wait, does that mean it will autorender to my drive? I don’t know…

For the mean time I will just go to Apple.com and check it out there, but wait it isn’t there either.

I don’t get it.

I am going to try to do a video today with Cammon Randle from BluFireStudios.com talking about it.

 

"

No comments: